Tuesday and Wednesday, May 16 - 17, 2017
8:30 am - 3:30 pm both days
Fruit processing lab
You must be at least 21 years old to attend this workshop.
Registration fee of $400 includes lunches and support materials.
The 2017 Distillation Basics Workshop, May 16 - 17, is designed for those considering or already involved in craft distillation. This workshop will be led by Dr. Karl Wilker, Research Professor and MSU Winery and Distillery Manager, and is limited to 8 participants to provide a personalized learning experience. Lecture and demonstration will be conducted in the distillery at Mountain Grove during the two day training session. Those attending will receive a booklet that covers the lecture information where notes can be taken for future referencing. Lunch and refreshments during breaks are provided each day.
Topics covered include:
- Basics of the distillation process and equipment
- Demonstrations will be carried out with a Bavarian Holstein column still with reflux
- Basics of materials used to make distilled products with emphasis on distilled grape spirits, grappa, eau de vies, and fruit brandies and infusions
- Using sensory evaluation to determine when to make cuts between the heads, hearts and tails during the distillation process
- Tasting of distilled fruit brandies and other products
The Missouri State University Winery is a commercially licensed winemaking and distillation facility located at the State Fruit Experiment Station in Mountain Grove. The workshop is offered by the MSU Darr College of Agriculture headed by Dr. Ron Del Vecchio, Dean.
The distillation program has produced brandies and liqueurs from grape (Grapeshine, Grappa and neutral spirits), apple, peach, blueberry blackberry and raspberry.
Dr. Karl Wilker
Research Professor of Enology and MSU Winery/Distillery Manager
C. J. Odneal Jr.
Cellar Technician, Mountain Grove, Mo.
Clinical Instructor and Vineyard Manager
Missouri State University
Winery and Distillery
Darr College of Agriculture
Mountain Grove Campus
9740 Red Spring Road
Mountain Grove, MO 65711-2999