If you are pursuing a degree in agriculture education, you must meet the below requirements to be eligible for graduation. Also, you must complete the general education program, fulfill the general baccalaureate degree requirements and complete at least 125 hours of course work.
The agriculture education program is comprehensive, so it does not require the completion of a minor. By working with the professional education certification office at Missouri State, you will receive your teaching certificate within 12 weeks after successfully completing the education program.
Major requirements (71-72 hours):
Note: 13-14 hours may double count toward the General Education requirements.
- Specific General Education requirements:
- AGB 144(4), AGB 334(3), AGE 337(3); AGP 103(3) or AGN 115(3); AGN 143(3), AGN 215(3); AGN 335(3) or AGR 383(3)-course deleted-see advisor; AGP 303(3) or AGP 333(3) or AGP 543(3); AGS 101(4).
- AGE 318(2), 568(3), 578(2), 588(2).
- Area of Specialization: Students must select a minimum of 20 hours of Agriculture courses to complete 45 hours of Technical Agriculture required by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (MoDESE). These courses must consist of any agriculture course not required as a major or Professional Education requirement.
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience Requirement will be fulfilled by completion of AGE 493(6) and 494(6).
Professional Education requirements (35 hours):
Note: A grade of “C” or better in each course is required for state certification.
- Teaching methods and supervised teaching (15 hours): AGE 558(3), 493(6), 494(6).
- Additional Professional Education Required Core and Competencies (20 hours).
- This program also requires compliance with Teacher Education for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance
in Teacher Education; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification
which includes following GPA requirements. All GPA requirements include both Missouri
State and transfer grades.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under major requirements.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses in number 1 and 2; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses.