Dr. Michael Goerndt
Envrn Plnt Sciences and Nat Rsrcs
Dr. Michael Goerndt is assistant professor of forestry and natural resources. During his time at Missouri State, Goerndt has built a forestry curriculum including courses in forest ecology, forest measurements, silviculture and dendrology.
Prior to MSU, he worked for four years at University of Missouri as a postdoctoral fellow. His postdoctoral research focused on spatial estimation methods for forest biomass availability for co-firing in power plants as part of the Northern Forest Futures Project with the USDA Forest Service.
Goerndt is currently involved in two primary research projects. The first project involves assessment of different chemical and mechanical treatments for woody understory species and grassland woody invasive species. This project includes the implementation of field-based experimental design and random assignment of selected chemical and mechanical treatments for several species including: buckbrush, bush honeysuckle, Russian olive, gooseberry and several others.
The other project is made possible through seed funding from the Missouri Transect (EPSCor) project. This project includes collection of hyperspectral imagery of forest canopy using unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV). The hyperspectral imagery will be used in conjunction with field measurements to model the correlation between climate variation and phenotypical vegetation changes, such as growth rate, chlorophyll flow and photosynthetic rate in several tree species. Dr. Goerndt is actively working to initiate research for establishment of silvopasture systems in the Ozark Highlands. This research will likely be a collaborative effort between MSU's Darr College of Agriculture and the Missouri Center for Agroforestry.
- Ph.D. in Forest Biometrics and Mensuration, 2010, Oregon State University
- M.S. in Statistics, 2009, Oregon State University
- M.S. in Forest Biometrics, 2005, Iowa State University
- B.S. in Forest Ecosystem Management, 2003, Iowa State University
- Industry Studies Association: Member (2013-present)
- Society of American Foresters: Member (2013-present)
- Society of Collegiate Scholars: Member (2001-present)
Research and professional interests
- Coal-fired and Biomass-fired Energy Facilities
- Natural Resources
Awards and honors
- Dilworth Memorial Fund Conference Grant, 2008 and 2009
- Harris Lab Conference Grant, 2008 and 2006
- Alfred W. Moltke Fellowship, 2006
- Schutz Family Fellowship, 2005
Areas of ExpertiseAgriculture Mathematics
What You Can Do with a Forestry Degree
Fire Science Online
9/1/2018 12:00:00 AM
Forestry expert Dr. Michael Goerndt highlights forestry careers.