Dr. Wenping Qiu
Agriculture-Mountain Grove Campus
Dr. Wenping Qiu is Clif & Gail Smart professor and director of the Center for Grapevine Biotechnology at Missouri State University. A virologist by training, his expertise is in grapevine defense methods. In particular, Qiu studies the Norton grapevine variety to understand the underlying mechanism of this grape's defense against destructive fungal diseases.
He has been the principal investigator on numerous grants from the state and federal Department of Agriculture, leading to more than $2 million in grant funding for his research.
- PhD, Plant Pathology/Biotechnology, 1997, North Carolina State University
- MS, Virology, 1988, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Science
- BS, Biology, 1985, Henan Teacher’s University, P. R. China
- Advances in Plant Science
- Colloquium in Plant Science
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Phytopathological Society
- International Council for the Study of Virus and Virus-like Diseases of Grapevine
Research and professional interests
My research focuses on understanding the molecular and genetic basis of disease resistance in grapevines and on identifying viruses and prevention of virus diseases that cause significant losses to grape industries. My professional interests are genomics and functional genomics of grapevine, virus diseases, virus testing and generation of virus-tested grapevines
Awards and honors
- Professor Salary Incentive Program Award, Missouri State University, 2016
- One of the 100 Talents, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, China, 2010
- Excellence in Research Award, Missouri State University, 2006
- Excellence in Research Award, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Missouri State University, 2003
- Nusbaum Scholar Award for Outstanding Research, Department of Plant Pathology, North Carolina State University, 1998
Areas of expertiseAgriculture
Ozarks Wine, Other Products Available at MSU-Mountain Grove
Grapevine expert Dr. Wenping Qiu shares about his discovery of the first DNA virus ever reported in grapevines.
Researchers Discover First Grape DNA Virus, Sequence N. American Grape Genome
Grapevine expert Dr. Wenping Qiu talks about the sequencing of the Norton grape's genome.
Poignant, with a touch of virus: Grapes, Their Enemies, and MSU Research
Grapevine expert Dr. Wenping Qiu discusses grapes and viruses.